ndab Ah Yes, Medical School: Ah yes, anatomy

Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Ah yes, anatomy

So today I got to meet the dead body I will be tearing apart over the course of the next 9 months or so. I must say, it was a bit of a shock removing the steel case to reveal a lifeless body underneath, as naked as the day he was born. You know it's coming, but there is still a moment where you are taken aback and realize that lying before you used to be a vibrant person full of life and vigor (or at least he had a pulse). Now, this person (whom we named Jim-Bob for no logical reason) has been stuffed with embalming fluid and is unknowingly days away from being carved open. I think it will be even more of a shock when we actually have to start cutting things open. I guess since this was an intro-type class and nothing too informative, I had a lot of time to wonder what this person was like and what brought him to this point. On the flip side, today was the first day where I actually felt like a medical student - I feel like this whole anatomy thing is some part of a hazing ritual that everyone has to go through and is one aspect of what makes you a member of the doctor club.

And I'm done rambling...

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home