ndab Ah Yes, Medical School: Tales From the Crypt IV: Can't Get It Out Of Her Head

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Tales From the Crypt IV: Can't Get It Out Of Her Head

Drifting in and out of consciousness one sweltering June day, I almost missed one of the most historic events of the first year of medical school. A stunning school scandal? Intra-class relationship drama played out in front of the entire class? Natalie Portman walking into class and taking me away with her (which, incidentally, very well may have been what I was dreaming about before I snapped back awake)?

No, but other than these things, there was one important thing I have not yet mentioned: I nearly missed the dumbest question anyone had ever asked in the history of medical school, medicine, and, frankly, kindergarten. We were in the middle of some neurology lecture - I think we were talking about the auditory system, but, like I already mentioned, I was being...umm...knighted by Queen Amidala at the time (and if you get this reference, I have a space saved for you right next to me at the annual Dorkiest People Alive Festival, this year in Silicon Valley) - when a familiar face shot her hand up. Her soft, melodious voice sang out...

"Question!"

By the end of our first year, we had already known this particular question-asker very well, as she rivaled Question Girl for question frequency, if not question content. (Since it turns out she's a nice person - I had many small group things with her this past year - I'll refrain from bestowing a nickname for her, but if you would like to make a suggstion after reading this, leave a comment and let me know.) Besides being known for her diva singing skills (see below), she was also known for asking some pretty dumb-ass questions. But nothing could quite prepare me for...

"So when you're doing that test and you put the sound at one ear, can you hear the sound coming out the other ear?"

I'll leave you for a moment and let you digest that one.


OK, back. In what can only be taken as a cruel twist, this is the same person who, for our annual medical student talent show a few months before this question, went on stage and belted out Kylie Minogue's foot-tapping classic, "Can't Get You Out of My Head". Apparently, she wasn't thinking about what she was singing. And, with that, I'd like to make a toast to Irony, and her distant cousin, Mind-numbing Idiocy.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ciao~ Lena said...

Wow. I am at a loss for words. I was not prepared for that. I had to sit back and close my eyes to keep my head from exploding! That is the dumbest question I have ever heard. I don't usually post at blogs, and well, beside my friends site, you are the only other blog I have ever visited. I am in the throws of nursing school and although it does pale in comparison to medical school hell, clinicals are nearly identical in feelings of inadequecy, unpreparedness and mishaps. I am enjoying your blog and will visit from time to time.
Thanks for the laugh, I'll share that with my friends in class tomorrow.
Ciao ~ Lena

7:44 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Man...
If she can get into med school, I sure as hell better be able to

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe she was joking?

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Adrian said...

I once tutored a girl who asked me if there were bones covering the brain.
All I could do was stare at her in shocked silence.

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Buy Tamiflu said...

oh yes, there is a through hole in the empty head!

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Gabriel said...

This won't have effect in reality, that's exactly what I think.
rip 60 reviews | Pest control | rip 60 reviews

2:36 AM  
Anonymous idateasia review said...

Write more, that's all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.idateasia scam

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home