ndab Ah Yes, Medical School: And Hello To You, Too

Monday, July 11, 2005

And Hello To You, Too

There are certain social graces that you do not really appreciate, or even notice, until they are obviously absent from normal social discourse. For example, imagine if you were talking to someone for a while, and at the conclusion of the conversation you did not say "bye" or any variation of that word, but instead just got up and left. The person left behind would undoubtedly feel a bit cheated and confused at the way this conversation ended.

This idea is what was racing through my otherwise sleep-deprived mind during the first day of surgery clerkship orientation this morning. After a brief talk from one of the OR nurses about general etiquette, one of the main surgeons walked into the lecture hall to greet us, give us some introductory comments about surgery, and give us some insight into what we were getting ourselves into for the next twelve (yes, twelve) weeks. Well, at least that's what I was expecting.

Instead, this is a paraphrase of our introduction to surgery:

My name is Dr. _____ and I am one of the directors for the surgery clerkship at this hospital. Over the past few years I have noticed that your predecessors have missed required lectures, failed to attend required outpatient surgery commitments, and have otherwise skipped out on certain activities that are a required part of passing this clerkship. Let me say this strongly: if you do not complete all of these requirements, you will fail the course. Furthermore, I should add that the textbooks are required and you must read them thoroughly. Personally, I'd recommend that you read through both textbooks [about 400 pages per book] twice through during your free time in this week-long orientation.


A "hello" would have been nice.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Aki said...

hello

10:06 AM  
Blogger The Fake Doctor said...

ya i pretty much set myself up for that one.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Owca (Sheep) said...

Hello ;)
I realise that you don`t know my language, but try to visit my web page (some kind of diary) ;)
Sweet dreams :)

1:14 PM  
Blogger Miranda5 said...

So, 1600 pages of small words on big paper in one week?

Prick.

"Free time"? Who has that?

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home