ndab Ah Yes, Medical School: Close Encounters

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Close Encounters

When I received two separate emails from pre-meds asking for my advice on how to pick a medical school within a day of each other, I was flattered (albeit just a wee bit disappointed that they clearly had not been paying attention to anything I’ve been writing the last three [sigh] years about this whole doctor thing). When I found out that one of the schools they were both considering happened to be the school I am currently attending, I was motivated to give them whatever first-hand advice I could come up with. When I learned that both were going to be in town for my school’s revisit day, I figured I’d offer to meet up with them to discuss the situation in person rather than ramble on and on over the course of a five page email with a whole mess of confusing advice in a vast array of run-on sentences and misplaced paragraphs that they probably would find worthless, senseless, and utterly wasteful anyways (irony, that’s your cue). Besides, such a lengthy email would take me way away from my otherwise bustling social life.

Yet, right after agreeing to meet with them it occurred to me that I have absolutely no idea who these people are. I forgot for a moment that while I started writing this nonsense/blog as a means to vent and entertain both my mom and my imaginary friends, there are other (real) people out there who read it now, and some of them have what could only be described as a violent hatred for...well…me. Would they be normal? Would they reveal stalker tendencies previously developed on myspace and facebook? Would they forcefully strap me down and perform yet another circumcision on me as a means of teaching me some twisted and still pointless lesson?

With some trepidation, I met up with these two prospective medical students…and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Of course, the fact that I’m still alive right now would have been good enough for me. They both seemed like great people, and after drowning them in a verbal ocean of my useless advice, I actually feel bad that I probably served no purpose for them whatsoever.

I was, however, troubled by one thing: one of the students told me that, in a mock PBL session done that morning, a different prospective medical student asked the facilitator/faculty member a question that went something like “So there’s this third year at your school who has a blog and he says [something about everything sucking].” OK, while I am amazingly flattered that I have that sort of influence and have reached this degree of C-level Internet quasi-celebrity, please, please, PLEASE do me a favor and do not bring up these sorts of things in front of those sorts of people. I don’t have a book deal to fall back on, people.

Regardless, I hope these two future medical students come to a peaceful decision about their medical school choice. I hope I didn’t scare them away from my school because this school could use a few decent people like them. Most importantly, I hope that future readers do not feel concerned about contacting me with whatever question they may have, and I’m over my fear about meeting random people through this blog should the situation present itself. Unless of course you want to talk about circumcision, in which case why don’t you talk to this guy instead?

18 Comments:

Anonymous Quash said...

wait...so no donkey punching went on?

5:39 PM  
Anonymous maniacpsycho said...

HAHAHAHAHA

way too funny!

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Gloria said...

haha...some people are good...but since you're a man, its easier to not be worried about people met on the internet

8:07 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

that was nice of you, sorry it back-fired.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't start meeting your readers, you'll get yourself into trouble!!

9:05 PM  
Blogger The Angry Frenchie said...

You know you're a celebrity when you have stalkers.

And you're a big-time celebrity when said stalkers want to kill you.

I'd hire body guards if I were you. It'd be sweet, you could have two large and angry guys follow you everywhere, and rough up annoying people, like Mr. Nopenis, and that attending that yelled at you for wearing scrubs. If that nurse tries to get her revenge for your one-upping her, just have Bruno plant his size 14 shoe firmly up her rectum, which would probably advance that stick that's stuck in her ass into her sigmoid colon. But you get the point. And that point is that bodyguards = awesome.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

That was really nice of you. I probably would have run away screaming. Although, like gloria said, 'tis slightly easier not to be concerned about your safety when you're a guy.

Be careful, though. Blogs can get people into sticky situations with schools, employers, etc.

4:28 AM  
Blogger Old MD Girl said...

I'm sorry those idiots almost(?) outed you in front of your superiors. It is true, you need to be careful in this day and age. Even if the Courts have ruled that you can say whatever you want about whomever on your blog, you can still get fired in about 2 seconds by your employer for doing so. Incedentally, the Courts also support that.

Now don't you wish you'd gone to law school instead?

6:50 AM  
Blogger unsinkablemb said...

i have met one of my readers before, but she was a long time reader of my nurse blog and student nurse blog. like gloria said, you're probably safe because you're male.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those comments on you being safe because you're a man; I thought that your masculinty was in question by pretty much every female you've encountered? No?

9:10 AM  
Blogger Paul Cacciottolo said...

Whehey: looks like fun! Don't you just love it when people come sidling up for advice? Makes you wonder: WHOA? These people actually look up to me? (or are they just taking the piss?)

Am in Med school in Malta (europe), and am on the Medical Education board as a student rep: hence when prospective meds have queries about student life etc, they get sent my way. Haven't been sodomised by any of the people I've met though; it tends to be safe.

Interesting blog.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog!

And don't worry - I think it's safe to assume that the abduction of a current med student by insane premeds wouldn't be too beneficial to the applicants in the eyes of the ADCOMs, aside from maybe a few points for well-roundedness. You're safe.

Best wishes, pal!

Ryan

11:39 AM  
Blogger Vegas said...

You mean you didn't tell them to reconsider their career choice? Perhaps if they spent a week shadowing you that would help...

6:40 PM  
Blogger sadielady said...

So does this mean you'll meet up with me if I come out to visit your school too? Oh, wait... I'm not pre-med or anything, I would just be looking for a date with the fake doctor. ;)

5:40 PM  
Blogger Engel said...

I recently met one of my own blog fans and I was not so much surprised at his normalness, but he was shocked to discover how normal I am!

8:19 PM  
Blogger An Enlightened Fellow said...

Amazing that people who blog could actually be normal.

10:14 PM  
Blogger sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,按摩棒,跳蛋,充氣娃娃,情境坊歡愉用品,情趣用品,情人節禮物,情惑用品性易購,A片,視訊聊天室,視訊,視訊聊天,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,聊天室,UT聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,免費視訊聊天室

免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,A片,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

A片,色情,成人,做愛,情色文學,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,言情小說,愛情小說,AIO,AV片,A漫,av dvd,聊天室,自拍,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,色情A片,SEX,成人圖片區

情趣用品,A片,免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,色情網站,免費AV,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,成人影片,情色網


情趣用品,A片,免費A片,日本A片,A片下載,線上A片,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人文章,成人影城,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,臺灣情色網,色情,情色電影,色情遊戲,嘟嘟情人色網,麗的色遊戲,情色論壇,色情網站,一葉情貼圖片區,做愛,性愛,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,美女交友,做愛影片

av,情趣用品,a片,成人電影,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室,美女交友,成人光碟

情趣用品.A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,色情遊戲,色情網站,聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,免費A片,日本a片,a片下載,線上a片,av女優,av,成人電影,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,成人網站,自拍,尋夢園聊天室

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Alfred said...

Thank you for the post, pretty helpful info.
1 | site | check

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home